Lansing, Lansing Township Urge Some Residents To Evacuate Due To Flooding
Lansing and Lansing Township officials are urging people in nine neighborhoods to get out of their homes.
Lansing Mayor Andy Schor declared a State of Emergency, calling this the worst flooding in the city since 1975 and he's urging for residents who live in flood zones to evacuate by Thursday at noon. (WILX)
Lansing, Lansing Township under State of Emergency due to floods
The rain is gone but concern for flooding grows stronger. Lansing and Lansing Township officials are urging people in nine neighborhoods to get out of their homes. Lansing Mayor Andy Schor declared a State of Emergency, calling this the worst flooding in the city since 1975 and he's urging for residents who live in flood zones to evacuate by Thursday at noon.
The Letts Community Center on Kalamazoo Street is where residents will be able to take shelter if they evacuate their homes.
Doors open at noon on Thursday.
The mayor says he does not have an end date for the State of Emergency but his team will continue to assess damages over the next 48 hours.
The flooding is also causing problems for Lansing schools.
The district says school buses can't go into evacuated areas.
That means students will have to be picked up and dropped off at certain locations to get to school Thursday morning.
Letts Community Center - 1220 W Kalamazoo St, Lansing, MI 48915.
Foster Community Center - 200 N Foster Ave, Lansing, MI 48912.
Gier Community Center - 2400 Hall St, Lansing, MI 48906. Lower Parking Lot.
Southside Community Center - 5825 Wise Rd, Lansing, MI 48911. South Parking Lot.
Gardner- 333 Dahlia Dr. Lansing, MI 48911. Southeast Corner of the Large Parking Lot.
Hub Pick up times:
High School and Woodcreek - Pick Ip 6:30 a.m.
Tier #2 - Pick Up 7:30 a.m. Southside, Letts, Gier Pick Up 7:45 a.m. Gardner, Foster
Tier #3 - 8:15 a.m. - All Five Hubs
Tier #4 - 8:30 a.m. - All Five Hubs
- Urbandale - South of Michigan Ave./East of Fairview Ave./North of 496/West of 127
- Sycamore Park - East of Pennsylvania Ave./North of Mt. Hope St./South and West of the River
- Knollwood Willow - East of North Grand River Ave./North of Willow St./South and West of the River
- Baker - South of the River/West of Pennsylvania Ave./East of Cedar/North of Baker
- Cherry Hill - South of Kalamazoo/North of 496/East of Cherry/West of the River
- Riverside - All areas along the River should be mindful of rising water
- Riverpoint - South, West and East of the River/North of Elm Street (residential area Northeast of ReoTown)
Volunteer & Donation Information for Neighbors Impacted by Flooding
If you are interested in helping our neighbors impacted by the flooding in Lansing, call the American Red Cross at 517-484-7461. The best way to help is a financial donation. We appreciate your continued support of our community.