A Look Inside of Babe’s Corner, Lansing’s Yummy Hoagie and Ice Cream Shop
Lansing's food scene is pretty epic. We have homemade Italian cuisine, all-you-can-eat sushi, and plenty more. But, that doesn't mean there isn't room for expansion.
Enter: Babe's Corner.
If you're looking for a delicious, filling sandwich, or maybe a tasty frozen treat (why not both? is what I say), Babe's is the place to go.
Babe's Corner joined the Lansing food scene just this last summer, in May of 2021, and it can be found at the corner of Hosmer and Michigan Avenue in Downtown Lansing. According to City Pulse, co-owners Aharon Hebert and Will Green saw that the space had opened up and really liked the location. After some brainstorming on what to do with the location, they landed on sandwiches and ice cream.
They do have some new additions to the menu since they've opened. They recently added a bunch of new hoagies, and have added salads to the menu. Plus, they have yummy ice cream toppings if you wanted to take your ice cream cone and turn it into a sundae. This past summer, they changed up the rotating flavor on almost a weekly basis, they did the same thing with their sundae creations, too.
While I was grabbing lunch there the other day, I had the pleasure of being served by owner Aharon, and he was kind enough to answer a bunch of questions I had. Thanks, Aharon, you are supremely kind! This is what I learned:
- The menu at Babe's has a lot of vegan options, which were inspired by his girlfriend, who is vegan herself. Plus, she works in the shop, so there needed to be food for her, too. When it came to vegan ice cream, they wanted to bring an option to Lansing because they would make the drive out to Grand Rapids, all to enjoy some yummy vegan soft serve.
- Babe's vegetarian and vegan offerings make up a large portion of their business. Lansing has a big appetite for vegan options.
- The most popular sandwich is probably the Margaret, which comes with Bang Bang sauce. It's a spicy mayo that is named after Bangos, which is the food truck that Aharon also owns. (check out a breakfast sandwich from Bangos, below)
- The most popular ice cream flavors have been lavender, Nutella, and basically all the fruits.
- When it comes to Aharon's favorite sub, it's a toss-up between Edna, which has all the delicious Italian meats and spices, or the Fran, which features some delicious savory and sweet cranberry mayo.
I've tried two sandwiches since going there (I'm a creature of habit when it comes to my food. I find something I like and tend to stick to it.); the Betty, which comes with this delicious pesto mayo and balsamic dressing combo, and the Pearl, which is one of their newer hoagies that comes with turkey, bacon, and rach-such a classic combo.
If any of this has piqued your interest, first, I would highly recommend grabbing lunch or dinner there one day. They are currently open for winter hours, which are Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 12 - 7 pm. Second, you should take a look through the gallery below to get a sneak peek at what you're in for.