MICHIGAN FORGOTTEN TOWN: Fisherville, Bay County
The Bay County community of Fisherville doesn’t seem to appear on most maps, and it’s so close to Auburn, that travelers may think the two towns are part of one.
A little history about Fisherville:
At Eleven Mile and Midland roads, a sawmill was constructed. The year was 1866. The man who built the sawmill, a Mr. Spicer, named the area ‘Spicer’s Corners’ in honor of himself.
In the 1870s, the Hotchkiss & Mercer Company ran a sawmill and was responsible for the wooden plank road that led from Midland to Bay City. Also in the 1870s, Spence Fisher was a respected, prominent citizen of the village; he is said to have operated a couple of mills, manufacturing barrels and the accompanying barrel hoops & staves. In 1875 it was decided to re-name the town after Fisher, and ‘Fisherville’ was it. Spence Fisher went on to become a congressman from 1885-1889.
When the post office opened in 1892, somebody thought to give it the moniker ‘Laredo’. It closed in 1898 and re-opened in 1899. When it closed for good in 1906, the name ‘Fisherville’ was back. From then on, the mail was sent to Auburn.
Fisherville was also a station on the Michigan Central's branch line from Bay City to Midland.
Today, Fisherville has only a few old buildings left, surrounded by modern suburbia and cul-de-sacs. The one or two old town buildings offset the rest of the area, but it’s worth a short drive-thru to visit what was once an important Michigan lumber town.