What Midland and the people of Midland County are going through right now is heartbreaking. In the middle of a pandemic, you have to pick up and leave the safety of your home. Evacuate. 10,000 people. Head to a shelter. Worry about social distancing. And then, what about your home and your stuff?

97.5 NOW FM logo
Enter your number to get our free mobile app

In the video below (at about :37 seconds in) listen as a resident talks about their whole life being in a house that is now underwater and when they called the insurance company they said "they won't cover anything".

It usually takes a disaster like a flood or hurricane to remind people about flood insurance (and in some cases sewer and drain backups).

After the fact is always too late.

Most homeowners and renters insurance policies do not cover flood damage. (Michigan.gov)

According to FEMA, just ONE INCH of water can cause up to $25,000 in damage.

The city of Midland is under 9 feet of water.


Michigan residents should head here.

Insurance Information for Michigan Consumers - Flood Insurance: What You Need to Know

Here are a couple of things you'll find out when you get there.

  • You will need to ask you agent specifically about flood (and in some cases sewer and drain backup) insurance.
  • A property owner is eligible to purchase flood insurance as long as the community in which they live participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
  • Everyone lives in a flood zone. The question is whether it is a high-risk or a moderate- to low-risk zone.
  • The federal government sets the premium rates and the costs do not vary; therefore,
    there is no need to shop for rates
  • As a property owner, you should contact your insurance agent. (Michigan.gov)

And if you're renting property, two quick things.

  1. Get renters insurance. Trust me, it usually doesn't cost much. And you need it because the landlord's insurance doesn't cover damage to your stuff.
  2. Most renters insurance policies do not cover damage caused by floods. Like home owners, renters must purchase flood insurance separately to be covered for damage from flooding. (Trusted Choice)

Bottom line. Contact your agent. Ask specifically about flood and water damage. You will probably have to purchase additional coverage. And it's better to know now BEFORE it happens.

SEE MORE: Michigan Flood Damage May 2020

More From 97.5 NOW FM