Annual Mackinac Bridge Walk Information
If you are going to be headed up to the Mackinac Bridge this weekend for the Mackinac Bridge Walk get all of the information here.
- First, just a note if you need to use the bridge to cross...it will be unusable from 6:30am until noon on Monday, September 3.
- Next, the Mackinac Bridge Walk starts at 7 a.m. The Governor will give the go-ahead to start and you can start walking anytime after 7am but no later than 11:30am. So if you want to walk please show up at least before 11am or you may be turned away.
- There will also be no transportation provided so you will walk one way and then you will need to figure out your own transportation back to the end of the bridge where you started – after the bridge reopens to public traffic at noon.
- This year, the walk begins in St. Ignace at the north end of the Mackinac Bridge as well as also in Mackinaw City at the south end of the bridge in the Lower Peninsula. There are a few ways to take the walk.
- 1. Walk to the half way point and walk back to where you started.
- 2. Walk the whole way across and get transportation back at noon when the bridge opens.
- 3. Walk the way across and back to your starting point, so making this a 10 mile trip. The only thing with this is you will have to start early cause if you do not reach the midpoint of the bridge on their return trip by 10 a.m. you will be turned back. So you will have to wait until Noon to get transportation back.
- If you are looking to cross the bridge and no be in the walk know that the bridge will be closed at 6:30-Noon and Northbound I-75 will be closed at Exit 337, and southbound I-75 and US-2 will be closed at Exit 344.
- Some other notes, the walk will approx. take about 2 hours so plan accordingly as there are no bathrooms on the bridge. Also Baby strollers and wheelchairs are allowed on the bridge during the walk.