Michigan DNR Gives Safety Tips to Hunters
Hunters may know this already but it is almost Firearm deer hunting season and the Michigan DNR wants all to know of the safety tips and hunting rules so everyone can have a safe hunting season.
November 15 is opening day for firearm deer hunting season. The DNR also lists these general safety tips to remember during deer season:
• Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
• Keep your finger away from the trigger and outside the trigger guard until you are ready to fire.
• Keep the safety on until you are ready to fire.
• Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.
• Be certain of your target, and what’s beyond it, before firing.
• Know the identifying features of the game you hunt.
• Make sure you have an adequate backstop. Don’t shoot at a flat, hard surface or water.
• Unload the firearm before running, climbing a fence or tree, or jumping a ditch.
• Wear a safety harness when hunting from an elevated platform. Use a haul line to bring the unloaded firearm up and down the raised platform.
• Avoid alcoholic beverages or behavior-altering medicines or drugs before or during a hunt.
• Always wear a hat, cap, vest or jacket of hunter orange, visible from all sides, during daylight hunting hours, even if hunting on private land. The law also applies to archery hunters during firearm season.
• Make sure at least 50 percent of any camouflage pattern being worn is in hunter orange.
• Always let someone know where you are hunting and when you plan to return. This information helps conservation officers and others locate you if you become injured or lost.
• Carry a cell phone into the woods. Not only does it let you call for help if necessary, but newer phones emit a signal that can help rescuers locate you. Also consider downloading a compass or flashlight app.
• Program the DNR’s Report All Poaching (RAP) line (800-292-7800) in your phone contacts so you can alert conservation officers to any natural resources violations you may witness.
More on these safety tips and other tips for this hunting season can be found here.