You Know You’re Saying That Wrong, Right?
(Video: loveliveserve via YouTube)
We all have that one friend. The Grammar Police. They love to correct you on social media and sometimes in person.
This past week, while watching a news story about the fires in Australia, they were doing a story on the wildlife that was affected. The reporter said Koala bears. And my buddy spoke up.
"Technically, they aren't bears. They are marsupials."
We were all like, "dude...focus, the wildfires". But, he's right.
We hate to be corrected. Especially by "that dude". Or "that chick". And especially when they are right.
There's something about being hit with correct information. And when it's backed up with fact. It's like learning the right lyrics to a song we've been singing wrong for years. We reject it. Cause our version was better lol.
We talked about this on Mornings @ Large earlier this week.
What have you been saying wrong for so long and have been corrected about it?
Nip it in the butt vs Nip it in the bud.
Chai Tea vs Just say Chai...cause it means TEA.
She hates it when people say anything other than "might as well".
Here's a short list of stuff you might not know you've been saying wrong all along.
Wrong way is on the left. Correct is on the right.
- Nip it in the butt vs. Nip it in the bud
- I could care less vs. I couldn’t care less
- One in the same vs. One and the same
- You’ve got another thing coming vs. You’ve got another think coming
- Each one worse than the next vs. Each one worse than the last
- On accident vs. By accident
- Statue of limitations vs. Statute of limitations
- For all intensive purposes vs. For all intents and purposes
- Extract revenge vs. Exact revenge
- Old timer’s disease vs. Alzheimer’s Disease
- Expresso vs. Espresso
- Irregardless vs. Regardless
- Momento vs. Memento
See the full list and explanation here from our friends at Lifehack.
Oh and on a personal note...especially for us Michiganders. Can we just stop saying EYE-talian. You wouldn't visit EYE-taly. That one drives me crazy.