Hate Your Ex? Name A Roach After Them. Detroit Zoo, Steal This
Valentine's Day is either someone's second-most beloved holiday or dismissed as another "Hallmark Holiday." Admittedly, the latter is usually a guy saying so. If you've ever referred to an ex as an expletive, or cockroach, there's something for you, too.
See Also: 1 Michigan Restaurant Has Nationally Recognized Chicken Wings perfect for the big game, but they only offer one flavor.
What is something single people could do for Valentine's Day in Michigan?
- For single people, it's "National Singles Awareness Day." Which means, there's likely an ex or 14 in their past. So, why not do something cathartic, or cleansing, that supports a great cause while sending a very clear message to your ex(ex)?
- Enter the "Cry Me A Cockroach" Fundraiser the Detroit Zoo should steal immediately.
Get our free mobile app
What is the "Cry Me A Cockroach" Fundraiser?
The San Antonio Zoo in Texas has hosted the Cockroach/Ex annual fundraiser since 2020. The premise is:
- Make a $5, $10, or $25 donation you'll receive a digital Valentine's Day card thanking you for your support to share on social media.
- The added (optional) bonus is you can name a cockroach after ex-significant other, if you'd like.
- If you choose, the zoo will send them a digital Valentine's Day card (also shareable on social media). Their card will state they've been named after a cockroach and fed to (insert animal here) at the SA Zoo.
Last year, the SA Zoo reports the most popular names were Jacob and Sarah.
The Detroit Zoo should copy the "Cry Me A Cockroach" fundraiser idea.
- Detroit does things for zoo animals like special meals or highlight animals that "heart" each other, but this is much more attention-getting and would go toward a great cause.
Happy Valentine's Day... or, not.
Abandoned Detroit Zoo
Remember the Belle Isle Zoo? Sadly the property has been neglected - and all but forgotten - since its closing in 2002.
WARNING: Under no circumstances should you enter this property. By doing so you risk bodily harm and/or prosecution for trespassing on private property.
Detroit Zoo Reopens Polk Penguin Conservation Center: Look
The Penguins are back home at the Detroit Zoo. The largest penguin facility in the world has reopened to the public. Closed since September 2019, the facility underwent renovations and upgrades that included a section of glass flooring that allows guests to see birds swimming below their feet, repainted rock surfaces, the creation of more nesting areas, a second snow machine within the habitat, upgrades to the water and air filtration systems, enhanced lighting and exhibits that focus on changing climate and the resulting loss of sea ice.
Now, everyone is getting acclimated to their new home and loving every minute, and that includes the visitors to the zoo!
Take a look.
This Abandoned Zoo in Cisco, Texas Could Make for a Cool Road Trip
Take a virtual tour of the walking trail and see if this may be a cool adventure for you and your friends or family this spring or summer.