Charlesworth, the Disappearing Eaton County Village
Once upon a time, in Eaton County, there was a town called Charlesworth.
Well, there still is...sort of.
Charlesworth - also known as Charlesworth Station - was settled in 1863 and became a stop on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad in Hamlin Township. The village appeared to be busy at one point in time, namely in the late 1800's to the early 1900's. The railroad went smack through town, bringing businessmen and travelers, and the local establishments were doing well. There were at least two mills, a depot, a church, schoolhouse and a few shops and stores.
Excitement in Charlesworth? According to the History of Eaton County, Michigan:
"J. Boutman says that June 2, 1853, a cyclone passed through Charlesworth, destroying the house of Nathan Sayers, and scattering the timbers and carrying some of them more than a half mile. Mr. And Mrs. Sayers were pinned to the ground by the falling debris and could not extricate themselves without help. A boy was blow out of the house and carried many rods, but was unharmed."
As with many Michigan towns of the late 1800's, Charlesworth met the same fate: timber was depleted, the railroad shut down, businesses packed up and left.
Today, the only reminders of what Charlesworth once was are the terrific old schoolhouse just west of town and the trail where the railroad came through. Other than that, there are a few homes scattered in the area.
Take a drive-thru someday...the old schoolhouse makes an awesome photo op
(SEE PHOTOS BELOW)!