ABANDONED MICHIGAN: Rowe Mfg. Factory, Newaygo
The Michigan town of Newaygo is known for its beginnings as a successful lumber town in the mid-1800s. As an offshoot of the logging business, they also had a plant in the 1900’s that manufactured wooden accessories, like handles for furniture and various tools, wood turnings, rosettes, plugs, drawer pulls, and wood feet.
The Henry Rowe Manufacturing Company began churning out product in the early 1900s and supplied accessories worldwide. They had a 40-page catalog that was distributed around the globe, with extreme business coming from Grand Rapids, just 45 miles away.
The old factory has been abandoned for many, many years now, hidden in a large cluster of trees, brush, bushes, and weeds. It’s slowly crumbling, as Penoyer Creek, an offshoot of the Muskegon River, continuously flows through it.
Take a look at the photos below and see how this old abandoned structure looks today!