Tips On How To Stay Cool This Week
Its going to be hot, like very hot the rest of the week. The high for today is upper 80s and low 90s, this is before we hit Thursday & Friday with highs going over 90 and reaching 100 in some parts of the Lansing-Area. Knowing all of the heat coming to our area, here are some tips on how to stay cool.
- Stay hydrated, Wear loose-fitting, light-colored clothing.
- Don't exercise outside during the hottest part of day unless you take frequent breaks or rest and water.
- Never leave children or pets alone in enclosed vehicles.
- If living in a home without air conditioning, there are places to visit with A/C. Community members are welcome to visit the East Lansing Public Library, 950 Abbot Road, and the East Lansing Hannah Community Center, 819 Abbot Road, during regular business hours. The East Lansing Family Aquatic Center, 6400 Abbot Road, is another option.
- Check of family members such as elderly, ELPD is also available to perform wellness checks by request. To request a wellness check, (517) 351-4220, Opt. 1.
Here are some ways to stay col in your house without breaking the bank.
- Buy an air conditioner with a high energy efficiency rating. The rating is printed on the EnergyGuide label.
- Clean leaves and debris from your air conditioning unit.
- Install your air conditioner in the shade. When it’s in direct sunlight, it uses more energy.
- Don’t cool unused areas. Close doors and registers to cut energy costs.
- Operate your stove, oven, dishwasher and clothes dryer in the morning or evening when it’s cooler outside.
- Set the air conditioning thermostat at 78 degrees during the day when you’re home and higher when you’re away.
- A ceiling fan cools fast and costs less than air conditioning.
- Get an AC tune-up to be sure your air conditioning is operating at peak efficiency.
- Check here to see if you qualify for a rebate.