The 7 Best Foods To Eat Before You Head Out For St. Patrick’s Day Drinking
We've all heard the old adage, "Don't drink on an empty stomach." And I can tell you from personal experience (or perhaps you know from your own experiences), that neglecting to eat before a day of consuming alcohol is never a good idea.
So, since tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day, I thought I'd share this list and hopefully spare you a nasty hangover. Put together by Thrillist, and learned from nutrition experts, here are seven of the best foods you can eat before a day of drinking green beer (or any alcohol for that matter).
- Low-fat yogurt - Yogurt takes about 4-6 hours to digest, so you'll be fuller longer. Plus, if you top it off with some granola, you can get healthy fat, protein, and carbs all wrapped up in one meal.
- Hummus - Another food packed with healthy fats and carbs. Pair with with some raw veggies, and you'll get tons of nutrients to keep that hangover at bay.
- Salmon - This fish is chock full of the vitamin B-12, which coincidentally gets depleted when drinking alcohol. Salmon's B-12 vitamins along with it's healthy omega-3 fatty acids makes it a great food choice to enjoy before drinking.
- Milk - Preventing a hangover is as simple as pouring yourself a glass of milk. It has plenty of potassium, which you lose when using the restroom frequently while drinking. Milk will help up your potassium game and keep you hydrated because it's about 90% water.
- Avocado - This is, in my humble opinion, the most delicious way to start your St. Patty's Day drinking. Grab some ripe avocados, red onion, lime juice, salt, pepper, and garlic, and whip put a quick batch of guacamole! The healthy fats that avocados are full of digest "more slowly than carbs".
- Cereal - Sorry, Lucky Charms isn't the ideal cereal in this situation. Grab yourself a box of fiber rich cereal and some low fat milk, pour a bowl, and enjoy the benefits! Cereals rich in fiber "provide a good buffer for the alcohol, and will slow its absorption."
- Eggs - Eggs are a wonder food in this instance, because not only are they egg-cellent to enjoy before a day of drinking, they are great to help cure your hangover as well! Eggs are full of "essential amino acids" that help breakdown alcohol.
If those seven wonder foods don't strike your fancy, you can check out some other suggestions HERE. I hope that this list helps you out before tomorrow's festivities. If you're out and about enjoying St. Patty's Day in East Lansing tomorrow, come hang out with me at Fieldhouse. I'll be broadcasting there live tomorrow from 4 to 6 pm with plenty of 97.5 swag, and your chance to win a Killian's golf bag. Get more details about my live broadcast HERE.