It got cold this weekend and when we went to crank up the heat -- wah wah -- it didn't work.  In talking to our neighbor about the issue on Sunday, she immediately asked "Do you have a carbon monoxide detector?"

We do.

But, her question prompted the decision to check out all our smoke and carbon monoxide detectors -- replace the batteries and make sure everything is working properly.  Also, to change furnace filters.  And the timing couldn't be better, since it's Fire Prevention Week in Michigan.

WZZM-TV has some great tips for creating a family plan in case of fire.  Get them here!